Monday, May 14, 2018

Racist Rant Results in Well-Deserved Firing

The video has been making the rounds of the internet, but you can watch it here if you missed it. It is a horrible spectre, but I forced myself through it once, and only once, in order to issue my commentary. Essentially a woman verbally berated some patrons of a Denny's restaurant in a shockingly un-Canadian racist diatribe. This is somewhat ironic, given that the spirit of the rant was about how she (the berator) was a true Canadian.

This took place after-hours, and in fact took place in Alberta, whereas the individual in question was an employee of Cranbrook Dodge - in eastern British Columbia. She was neither working nor was it apparent where she might work - at least from anything I could see in the video.

This was the only decision the employer could make, and I say this for a variety of reasons.
I am fairly confident that most judges would see this as just cause for termination. I reserve only a small amount of doubt because judges have been known to do shocking things from time to time. But even if the company were scared that this woman would sue for wrongful dismissal, surely the potential business losses would have to outweigh that concern in any event. If I knew where this individual worked, I am confident I would avoid her workplace. Conversely, the act of firing her has earned my respect. I am still unlikely to buy a Dodge from a dealership located nearly a thousand kilometers from my home, but were I considering doing so I would certainly keep this dealership in mind.

There may be a small contingent of the population who do not share my views. Fortunately, they seem to be outnumbered by employers who do share my perspective. I would not have an individual like this as an employee. If forced to terminate an employee in similar circumstances I would be comfortable with any prospective judicial outcome flowing from my decision, much as I would be aware that (as with every case) no legal outcome is ever guaranteed to obtain.

Nothing in this article, or anywhere in my social media writings should be construed as legal advice.

No comments: