Tuesday, October 17, 2017

NFL Gender Gap - A Disgrace

The National Football League gives me such a robust body of material about which to write, as an employment lawyer, that it is kind of breathtaking.

Or maybe I am just a little bit obsessed.

Either way.

Cam Newton recently, and unfortunately, scoffed at a reporter (who happened to be female, which I only mention because her gender is relevant to the tale I tell) when she asked him a question about routes. Mr. Newton, who routinely connects on such routes with receivers who were ushered through college despite not working and not learning, not to mention some criminals, was surprised that a woman understood the concept of a 'route.' I mean you've got your uneducated criminals on the one hand, but she's a woman. You see Cam's point, right? If yes: hello Donald Trump Jr., can't say I've missed you during the ten minutes since your last tweet.

Disgraceful.

But at least she was not Cam's employee, or worse still denied employment due to his ignorance.
Enter the NFL.

In two ways that I will delineate today (and several others I do not propose to mention), the NFL fails in delivering on what I would call its obligation to be a progressive member of society, specifically with respect to gender rights. This obligation derives from its prominence and the fact that it will clearly impact millions via its actions leaving us only to hope those actions are principled and virtuous.

First, cheerleaders are not paid. If you could find a way to more clearly state your stone-age leanings, than getting hundreds of young women to dress and dance provocatively every week with a view to profit but refuse to pay them, then: hello Snoop Dogg, I am ashamed to admit I like some of your songs.

Second, why are there no female announcers? This is on networks too but the NFL could help and would improve its image by doing so.

And yes, I have watched Pam Oliver, Michelle Tafoya and others reporting, but this makes my point. These women, with actual credentials and (I'm just guessing) who have to work twice as hard as their more prominent male counterparts to get where they are have been literally sidelined. They report from the sidelines alone.

Many of the male commentators' credentials seem to be that they either played or have generally been around football. Based on nothing more, they receive fat paychecks [sic: paycheques] for making stupid comments. Matt Millen comes to mind, Tony Siragusa comes to mind ... Remember that thing where Terry Bradshaw was against black quarterbacks? I love the game but honestly I have to mute my television sometimes the problem is so bad. Meanwhile, in a country of over 300 million people I hazard a guess that there is more than one rabid football fan who is well spoken whose insights and opinions I would love to hear more of and yet who is in possession of an extra 'x' chromosome.

In fact, my inspiration for this blog post came from Lindsay Jones' appearance on Bill Barnwell's podcast summarizing week 5 NFL action. Ms. Jones made a comment about some man telling her he didn't like listening to female voices, and then she forever won my heart by telling a hilarious anecdote about what a jerk Jay Cutler is (in addition to being a dreadful quarterback making $10 million this year playing for the Miami Dolphins and thus guaranteeing they will not win the Superbowl).

Society needs to do better and the NFL needs to lead by example. To do less is disgraceful.

No comments: